April 2021 Preliminary Texas Drunk Driving Crash Injury Statistics
Preliminary Texas drunk driving crash injury data is available for April 2021. Texas Department of Transportation (TxDoT) statistics indicate that 1,333 people died or suffered injuries during the month.
The injuries and fatalities break down as follows:
- 114 people died in alcohol-related crashes.
- 217 people suffered incapacitating injuries.
- 468 minor injuries resulted from crashes that required hospitalization.
- 424 victims sustained injuries that required medical treatment, but not hospitalization.
- 110 injuries of unknown severity occurred.
Injuries and fatalities jumped 74.7% from the April 2020 totals. It’s important to note that Texas endured COVID-19 lockdown restrictions throughout April 2020. For this reason, changes from one year to the next are unreliable. Total injuries increased by 15 from March 2021 to April. In addition, 9 more people perished in alcohol-related crashes in April than in May.
TxDoT will not release its final numbers until sometime in late 2022. Until then, all statistics are subject to revision.